What is an equation? An equations says that two things are equal, it will always have an equal sign.
In fact, solving an equation is just like solving a puzzle. And like puzzles, there are things you can (and cannot) do. Here are some things you can do:
- Clear out any fractions by Multiplying every term by the bottom parts.
- Add or Subtract the same value from both sides.
- Divide every term by the same nonzero value.
- Combine Like Terms
- Expanding (the opposite of factoring) may also help
- Sometimes you can apply a function to both sides (e.g. square both sides).
- Recognizing a pattern you have seen before, like the difference of squares
After solving, you should always check that your solution really is a solution.
If you want to practice, here you have some activities:
1. Does x satisfy the equation?
2. Solve one-step linear equations.
3. Solve two-step linear equations.
4. Solve multi-step equations.
5. Solve equations involving like-terms.
To end up, you can relax with these games about math vocabulary and equations solving: practice your math vocabulary with an equation puzzle or solve one-step equations and two-step equations.